Sibyls, Scriptures, and Scrolls: John Collins at Seventy by Joel Baden
By Joel Baden
This quantity, a tribute to John J. Collins via his buddies, colleagues, and scholars, comprises essays at the wide variety of pursuits that experience occupied John Collins s unique occupation. themes variety from the traditional close to East and the Hebrew Bible to the lifeless Sea Scrolls and moment Temple Judaism and past into early Christianity and rabbinic Judaism. The contributions care for problems with textual content and interpretation, historical past and historiography, philology and archaeology, and extra. The breadth of the quantity is matched purely by means of the breadth of John Collins s personal paintings.
Read or Download Sibyls, Scriptures, and Scrolls: John Collins at Seventy PDF
Similar sacred writings books
The recognition of Kabbalah, a Jewish mystical circulation at the least 900 years previous, has grown astonishingly in the context of the substantial and ever-expanding social move in most cases often called the hot Age. This publication is the 1st to supply a large evaluation of the foremost traits in modern Kabbalah including in-depth discussions of significant figures and colleges.
There are titles during this quantity. The Sutra of Queen Srīmālā is a crucial early Mahayana textual content. it's a distinct improvement in the Buddhist culture as a result of its egalitarian and beneficiant view relating girls, portraying, at the one hand, the consideration and knowledge of a laywoman and her trouble for all beings, and, at the different, the function of lady as thinker and instructor.
A compilation of 2 texts at the nice Perfection
An interlinear variation of the religious vintage that offers devanagari, transliterated Sanskrit, and English models of the Gita.
- From Jewish Magic to Gnosticism
- The Targums and Rabbinic Literature: An Introduction to Jewish Interpretations of Scripture
- The Anthology in Jewish Literature
- Abhidharmasamuccaya: The Compendium of the Higher Teaching (Philosophy)
- The Making of a Sage: A Study in Rabbinic Ethics
- Reading Ecclesiastes intertextually
Additional resources for Sibyls, Scriptures, and Scrolls: John Collins at Seventy
J. J. Collins, G. E. Sterling and Ruth Clements (Leiden: Brill, 2004) 49–66. 181. “La Reinterpretazione delle Tradizioni Apocalittiche nell Sapienza di Salomone,” in Il Libro della Sapienza. Tradizione, Redazione, Teologia. Ed. , The Book of Wisdom in Modern Research (Deuterocanonical and Cognate Literature Yearbook, 2005; Berlin: de Gruyter, 2005) 143–57. 182. “The Politics of Biblical Interpretation,” in Biblical and Near Eastern Essays in Honour of Kevin J. Cathcart. Ed. Carmel McCarthy and John F.
The food in question is later specified, in vv. 6–8: Sarah, Abraham’s wife, and Abraham’s servant prepare a meal of cakes and a calf, which Abraham serves to his guests along with yogurt and milk. This invitation (vv. 3–5) and the enactment of it (vv. 6–8) are presented in the Bible as epic narrative. 32 I will argue below, for example, that the definite article prefaced to “tree” in v. 4 is meant to signify a sacred site. 33 So too must cereal offerings 30 At Gen 35:1, the participle nirʾeh is used of God (ʾēl) in a relative clause but is not part of a cult title.
216. “Introduction,” to “Philo and the Dead Sea Scrolls,” in Studia Philonica Annual 19 (2007) 81–83. 217. , Complexity. Interdisciplinary Communications (Oslo: Centre for Advanced Study at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters 2006/2007) 126–8. 218. , Scripture in Transition. Essays on Septuagint, Hebrew Bible, and Dead Sea Scrolls in Honour of Raija Sollamo (JSJSup 126; Leiden: Brill, 2008) 205–221. 219. , Sacred Marriages. The Divine-Human Sexual Metaphor from Sumer to Early Christianity (Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 2008) 259–74.