Nature Guide: Birds by David Burnie
By David Burnie
A brand new new release of illustrated ordinary heritage handbooks, produced together with the Smithsonian Institution.
The new DK Nature publications shape a finished, available, and informative sequence of illustrated reference books that take on key common background topics in DK's inimitable style.
From the Arctic Tern and American Woodcock to the Turkey Vulture and Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Nature advisor: Birds is packed packed with lovely photographs that demonstrate chook anatomy, flight, migration styles, breeding, habitats-all excellent for chicken gazing and straightforward identification.
- gorgeous photos revealing complex information and targeted good points of specimens
- specialist writing and learn by means of specialists
- transparent, concise, and informative textual content convey the topics to life
- specifically commissioned close-up images and illustrations
- rigorously established profiles making sure you possibly can find key information
- Entries equipped in intuitive different types or groupings for ease of reference
Read or Download Nature Guide: Birds PDF
Similar nature books
The attribute glance of California Chaparral—a delicate bluish-green blanket of crops lightly overlaying the hills—is identified to thousands who've noticeable it because the backdrop in videos and tv productions. This advanced ecological neighborhood of vegetation and animals isn't just a function of the hills round Hollywood, yet is a critical a part of the full California panorama.
This is the area considered inside of a grain of sand, due to the lovely three-d microphotography of Dr. Gary Greenberg. to a couple, all sand appears to be like alike--countless grains in an unlimited expanse of seashore. glance closer--much closer--and your view of sand will not be an analogous. utilising the glorious microphotographic options that he built, Greenberg invitations readers to find the unusual and lovely global that every grain of sand comprises.
It appears like a endure, yet isn’t one. It climbs timber as simply as a monkey— yet isn’t a monkey, both. It has a abdominal pocket like a kangaroo, yet what’s a kangaroo doing up a tree? Meet the fantastic Matschie’s tree kangaroo, who makes its domestic within the old bushes of Papua New Guinea’s cloud woodland.
Falcon Pocket advisor: Birds of the Rocky Mountains is a box consultant to greater than 250 of the most typical and sought-after chook species within the sector. Anatomically right illustrations and particular descriptions approximately each one bird's renowned actual attributes and common habitat make it effortless to spot birds on your yard, favourite parks, and flora and fauna parts.
- Learning from Nature How to Design New Implantable Biomaterialsis: From Biomineralization Fundamentals to Biomimetic Materials and Processing Routes: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute, held in Alvor, Algarve, Portugal, 13–24 October 2003
- Nature Anatomy: The Curious Parts and Pieces of the Natural World
- Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout
- Wildlife Heroes: 40 Leading Conservationists and the Animals They Are Committed to Saving
- Parallel Problem Solving from Nature – PPSN X: 10th International Conference, Dortmund, Germany, September 13-17, 2008. Proceedings
- How Nature Works: Complexity in Interdisciplinary Research and Applications
Additional info for Nature Guide: Birds
This and young spend the rest of form is generally found the year at sea. in the Paciﬁc Ocean. Migrant 17–20 ½ in (43–52 cm) 20–23 oz (575–650 g) No nest; single egg laid on rock or grass, on exposed ledges, cliff slopes 1 egg; 1 brood Least Concern Flocks/colonies ALBATROSSES, PETRELS, AND SHEARWATERS | PROCELLARIIDAE Land predator Feeding on land as well as at sea, the southern giant petrel has two color forms. The more common form has mottled gray plumage. 8–5 kg) Shallow depression in ground, bordered with stone and dry vegetation 1 egg; 1 brood Least Concern Colonies 59 tubular nostrils Macronectes giganteus SOUTHERN GIANT PETREL Large and aggressive, the southern giant petrel is a highly opportunistic seabird with a lifestyle that is partly predatory and partly scavenging.
The sitting bird guides its partner by making a strange wailing sound—even if thousands of birds may be calling, each one manages to ﬁnd its mate. It takes 10 weeks for the chick to ﬂedge, nourished by supplies of regurgitated oily food. Once the chicks can ﬂy, the birds migrate south until the following year. 62 GREBES Relatively few in terms of species, grebes are highly distinctive, ﬁsh-eating birds found all over the world. Propelled by their toes and waterproofed by lustrous feathers, they are widespread inhabitants of calm lakes and waterways.
SIMILAR SPECIES ash-gray upperparts Gray-headed albatross Black bill with yellow ridges; white crescent behind eye gray-black upperparts Laysan albatross Black patch around eye; pink bill with dark tip Thalassarche melanophris BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS Named for its charcoal-colored “eyebrows,” the black-browed albatross is an inhabitant of the southern oceans, soaring over windswept seas as far south as Antarctica. 142). However, unlike a gull, this albatross spends most of its time on the wing, often roaming hundreds of miles from the coast in search of food.