Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic by Laurie L. Patton
By Laurie L. Patton
Authority, nervousness, and Canon elucidates a precept primary to Hinduism’s self-understanding--the Veda--while while analyzing the methodological problems with the function of canon in spiritual culture. Spanning the early classes of Indian non secular background as much as the 20th century, the ebook combines theoretical sophistication and designated scholarship to provide one of many first finished works on Vedic interpretation on account that Louis Renou’s Le Destin Du Veda.
Read Online or Download Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation PDF
Best sacred writings books
The recognition of Kabbalah, a Jewish mystical stream no less than 900 years outdated, has grown astonishingly in the context of the great and ever-expanding social move usually often called the hot Age. This booklet is the 1st to supply a wide assessment of the main tendencies in modern Kabbalah including in-depth discussions of significant figures and faculties.
There are titles during this quantity. The Sutra of Queen Srīmālā is a vital early Mahayana textual content. it's a precise improvement in the Buddhist culture as a result of its egalitarian and beneficiant view referring to girls, portraying, at the one hand, the respect and knowledge of a laywoman and her drawback for all beings, and, at the different, the position of girl as thinker and instructor.
A compilation of 2 texts at the nice Perfection
An interlinear version of the religious vintage that gives devanagari, transliterated Sanskrit, and English types of the Gita.
- Buddhist Sutras: Origin, Development, Transmission
- The Inner Kalacakratantra: A Buddhist Tantric View of the Individual
- The Subversion of the Apocalypses in the Book of Jubilees
- The Vanishing Hebrew Harlot: The Adventures of the Hebrew Stem ZNH
- The Discipline of Philosophy and the Invention of Modern Jewish Thought
- Reading Leviticus: Responses to Mary Douglas (The Library of Hebrew Bible Old Testament Studies)
Additional resources for Authority, Anxiety, and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation
25. 6. page_57 Page 58 26. The expression traya veda appears less frequently than trayi * vidya*. 9-10,12, where the designation traya veda, "threefold Veda," is juxtaposed with the expression trayi* vidya*, "threefold knowledge" Cf. 2. 27. While the following discussion will focus primarily on the Brahmanas*, occasional reference will also be made to Aranyakas* such as the Jaiminiya* Upanisad* Brshmana* that expand upon the speculations of the Brahmanas*. 28. 3: "Having given his self (atman*) to the gods, he [Prajapati*] then brought forth that counterpart (pratima*) of himself which is the sacrifice (yajna*).
J. " History of Religions 10(2): 91-138. J. Kuiper, Ancient Indian Cosmogony, ed. John Irwin, 90-137. New Delhi: Vikas, 1983. Lingat, Robert 1973 The Classical Law of India. Trans. J. Duncan M. Derrett. Berkeley: University of California Press. " In Ritual and Power, ed. Barbara A. Holdrege Journal of Ritual Studies 4(2):115-47. 1991 The Life of a Text: Performing the Ramcaritmanas* of Tulsidas Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press. Mehta, J. L. " In The World's Religious Traditions: Current Perspectives in Religious Studies.
5. The Hague: Mouton. " In Sikh Studies: Comparative Perspectives on a Changing Tradition, ed. Mark Juergensmeyer and N. Gerald Barrier, 121-24. Berkeley: Graduate Theological Union. 1989 Rules Without Meaning: Ritual, Mantras and the Human Sciences New York: Peter Lang. Subbu Reddiar, N. " Chapter 26 of his Religion and Philosophy of Nalayira* Divya Prabandham with Special Reference to Nammalvar*, 680-93. Tirupati: Sri Venkateswara University. Younger, Paul 1972 Introduction to Indian Religious Thought.